Posted by – July 29, 2011
Think back to a time when you were sitting on your couch, or on the way to work. How many different company names, logos and catchphrases did you see? It’s probably in the hundreds, if not thousands, and each one is fighting its way to the forefront of your attention. As a new business owner you will be joining this fight and you’ll need an individual, and inspiring, name to help you win.
It might sound impossible but in your short company name you’ll have to reveal a whole host of different aspects, firstly, who you are. Identity is a huge importance in the business world and remember that if everything goes well you’ll create a reputation. For some it will mean mixing your personal name into the title, others though choose something a little wittier and create a new image for themselves.
When you were thinking back to the company names your saw, do you remember what they all do? A company name should tell us what the business does in a simplistic manner. This isn’t always possible, and a lot of companies, such as Google and Apple, don’t really describe their business. But as a small business it’s imperative and there’s always a possibility that at a later date it can be shortened. Read the rest of this article
Starting a new business in Ottawa can be a challenging task, but there are ways of making it easier for yourself. Some methods will depend on what type of business you plan to start, but either way, you’ll need the right permits and licenses. The city of Ottawa has an online service to help with startup companies, called BizPal. But there are still some steps to take.
- Start by logging on to BizPal and register with the website. They will guide you through the process and make it as easy as possible. They are set up to help with registering businesses and giving advice for potential business owners.
- Click on the ‘where will you operate your business’ tab and fill the required screen with your details. They will ask you several questions such as ‘what type of business are you planning to operate’. Most businesses will be listed; if yours isn’t then you will have to contact the City of Ottawa for additional information.
- After this you will need to fill in a questionnaire. This will be additional information on your company asking you whether you plan to complete any construction, or serve alcohol. Completing this with adequate information will help you in the long run so make sure you don’t forget anything.
- Once you have results, make sure to print them out. You will now own a list of permits, registration information and licenses that are needed to start a business in Ottawa. They will also give you contact information and important web sites to help you with your process.
- Now you can officially start your business in Ottawa. The next steps will be to find funding, build a website and begin your journey into the business world.
For more information contact the Winflow Financial Group.
Investing will always be a risky business for both novices and experienced traders. But there are methods of making it easier on yourself and calculating the market risk may help with future decision making. Remember that market risk premium will equal the expected return, minus the risk free rates of return. Expected rates of return have been set since 1926 and are at 10.3%.
- Start by obtaining the 10 year treasury yield. This number is updated each month and can help with keeping you updated.
- The next step is to locate the expected return rate.
- Using the formula above and the information collected you can calculate the market risk. Expected rate, minus the risk-free rate.
The final calculation will give you the market risk premium. But you will need to truly understand what this means for it to help you investing in the future. Essentially, the market risk premium means is the estimated difference which the investor may expect when investing in a risky asset. Whether the market risk is suitable for your investments will come down to your financial position. But knowing the risk can help you in gauging your next step.
For more information on market risk contact the Winflow Financial Group and discuss your queries with professional consultants.
Posted by – June 27, 2011
Also known as debt equity products, hybrid investments are great for diversifying your investment portfolio. The hybrid products include favored shares and both short/long term convertible bonds. But what exactly is a hybrid investment?
This type of investment is an asset that links equity and debt features. It allows companies to protect themselves against financial risks and also helps with creating a risk management plan. A company may issue these hybrid products if senior officials believe that economic conditions aren’t appropriate for traditional bonds and stock products.
The hybrid investments are vital in modern economic transactions and creating a more diverse investment portfolio. The investors that purchase these products are hoping to receive periodic fixed-interest payments and to make profits when the financial market share prices rise.
The most popular hybrid investments are the convertible bonds and preferred stocks. Someone who buys these preferred stocks, who is also titled as a preferred stockholder, will receive a dividend payment on a regular basis. When share values rise on securities exchanges the stockholder also gains. On the other hand, the convertible bondholder will receive periodic interest payments. They can also exchange their bonds for equity shares.
For more information on investments speak to the consultants at Winflow Financial Group.
Though the government of the United States of America doesn’t provide business grants, many states and economic development agencies do. There is also the option of applying for a loan from the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA). Before going ahead with the application, ensure you have the necessary documents in order. These documents include:
- Bank statements. Most loan programs require statements from your personal and business accounts for the last year.
- Income tax returns. Loans programs require your tax returns from the past three years.
- Resume. Showing prior business experience will make lenders more comfortable giving you a loan, especially if you are starting a new business.
- Business and personal credit reports. Ensure there are no problems with your credit score before applying for a loan.
- Personal background. Questions about criminal record, prior addresses and education are all likely to come up when applying for a loan.
- Legal documents such as business licenses, contracts, leases, franchise agreements, and articles of incorporation could all be necessary when applying for a loan.
- Business plan. Having a business plan that shows projected revenues and losses can increase your chances of receiving funding.
- Collateral. Not all loan programs require collateral but it is a good idea to have collateral documents ready in case they are necessary to secure a loan.
If you are interested in learning about government business assistance available to Canadians, read our article about grants available north of the border.
If you need assistance deciding which financing options are best suited for you, visit the Winflow Financial Group site to set up a free consultation.